Amla is a beautiful fruit also known as Indian Gooseberry. It is from a tree native to Asia. The tree produces these tiny green fruits that semi resemble green grapes. Or like a green tomato.
The taste is astringent and sour.
You might be wondering, why did we choose to include it in our Focus Drink.
There are a bunch of reasons why people would want to consume Amla, here are just a few reasons!
1. Amla is amazing for your immune functionality. Amla is super high in Vitamin C which is one of the immune system’s best friends. In fact, Amla is one of the most Vitamin C rich fruits in the world.
2. Amla is great for heart health. There was a study done on people with abnormal blood lipid levels. After 12 weeks there was reported lower triglycerides, total cholesterol, and “bad” cholesterol. It also helped with cholesterol buildup in the arteries. Another study looked at those who were obese or with heart disease risk, and heart disease risk markers reduced after 12 weeks taking Amla.
3. Amla is great for liver health. The reason Amla is so amazing for supporting the liver is because it is so high in antioxidants. Some studies have shown that Amla can improve liver functionality. Although more human studies are needed.
4. Amla may help with hair growth. A lot of people are first drawn to amla because of what it may be able to do for one’s hair. The reason why is Amla can block a specific enzyme that is often involved in hair loss. Amla may also support this specific proliferation of cells in hair follicles that can help with hair growth.
5. Amla can support kidney health. Detox organs like the kidneys love antioxidants. And Amla is packed with them! Although more human studies are needed, in animals, Amla has been shown to reduce kidney damage and support kidney health. Other animal studies have shown that amla reduced age-related oxidative stress in kidneys.
6. Amla can support eyesight. This is because of the carotene in Amla. While studies are needed specifically for Amla, it has been reported that carotene is important for eyesight. And Amla is packed with carotene! Carotene is especially beneficial if one has a Vitamin A deficiency.
7. Amla may help curb some cravings. In animals, Amla has been shown to help reduce belly fat. It also helps control blood sugar levels which in turn can help people curb some of their cravings.
8. Amla is great for skin health. Vitamin C is one of the most abundant antioxidants in the skin! It’s so important to support it. Amla is packed with Vitamin C, polyphenols and antioxidants which, make no mistake about it, the skin loves.
9. Amla can be supportive for a healthy mood. Why is this? Solely because of the Amla Vitamin C content! High Vitamin C has been shown to be connected with elevated moods. On the contrary, being deficient in Vitamin C puts you at risk for mood disorders.
10. Amla supports a healthy digestion. Not known amongst most, Amla has been shown to reduce symptoms in those who suffer from GERD- arguably one of the toughest digestion illnesses to deal with. Animal studies have shown that Amla can help with stomach discomfort and cramps.